Compassion International

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sponsor A Compassion Child TODAY

I was listening to our local Christian radio station today, 104.9 (their website it PLR.org).  They play great music all day long.  This week they have been doing a Compassion International "campaign" to encourage listeners to sponsor a very needy child.  I have always intended to sponsor one but I just haven't gotten around to it.  Bella and I were driving to speech therapy and we stopped for lunch at Wendy's . It occurred to me that if the roles were reversed and my children were hungry and needed the BASIC necessities I would certainly hope that someone in a wealthy country, such as ours, would call and say YES! I will help your children!  Why do I take so much for granted?  We are so privileged here in the states.  We have such abundance and I know my children have such abundance.  The Lord pressed on my heart to sponsor two children today.  This is not because I'm so great, it's because these are HIS children and He has called us to show His love for them by sponsoring.  It is just pennies a day.

I chose two boys, both have aids and both have been waiting a long time.  One young man is 15 and may have lost hope in being sponsored.  The cost is just $38 per month, per child.  For $76 or the cost of ONE night out to dinner w/my family at a nice restaurant or cutting out 1 trip a week to a fast food restaurant.   I know that each of my readers and myself can make the tiny sacrifice to help one or more child.  I am challenging my readers to take the Compassion challenge and sponsor at least one child.  Go to their website where you can search for a child based on their birthday, gender, country, and lots of other details.  You can exchange letters and photos, etc.  http://www.compassion.com/sponsor_a_child/default.htm

This is from their website, I hope this is okay to share with my readers;

Sponsoring children in need is breaking the cycle of poverty  
Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults.

Founded by the Rev. Everett Swanson in 1952, Compassion began providing Korean War orphans with food, shelter, education and health care, as well as Christian training.
Today, Compassion helps more than 1 million children in 26 countries.

Currently there are over 2700 children waiting to be sponsored.  YOU and I can make a difference.  Please post a comment when you have sponsored your child(ren) and PLEASE, challenge your friends to do the same!  The power of social networking could have ALL the children waiting sponsored TODAY!  Let's make it happen.

Too blessed NOT to share,

Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment